Sunday, March 21, 2010

Invictus-ed

Recently, I watched the movie Invictus. It's about the beginning of Nelson Mandela's rule in South Africa and how he inspired the South African rugby team to World Cup glory. Morgan Freeman as Mandela is brilliant - so brilliant, in fact, that now when I think of Mandela, Morgan Freeman's face pops up in my head!

    Spot the difference...

So, in the movie, Mandela (Freeman) inspires South African rugby captain François Pienaar (Matt Damon) using a 19th century poem titled 'Invictus'. In reality, however, Mandela actually used an extract from a speech by former U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt titled 'The Man In The Arena'. Either way, South Africa went on to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup on home soil. It was Mandela's way of ensuring that even though he had come to power, the whites would not be ignored in his grand plan, because rugby was primarily a white man's sport back then.

Anyways, all that is academic. The movie is brilliant, but there's one big problem - after watching it, I feel insignificant. Watching a great actor portray an even greater man was wonderful, but this time it put my life in perspective. And the result was not flattering. The more I thought about what Mandela had achieved, the worse I felt about the life I live. I tried to console myself by considering the fact that I'm only 21 still, but the reality is: compared to Mandela, my future is that of a relative sinner. I shudder to think of his reaction to complaints about the 'little' things - an intolerable fellow human-being, tasteless food, or being denied something which is badly desired. I'm sure he could identify with each of the feelings - and many more - but he would just smile and move on to the more important things, because that's how he was - larger than life.



Yep...that's how small I feel...

There's a beautiful song in the movie - 'Colorblind' - by South African boy band Overtone. The lyrics refer to Mandela's 27-year stint in prison for leading the fight against apartheid in Africa. One para goes : 

Hear me say I'll rise up 'til the end
Hear me say that I'll stand beside my friends
I won't stay on the floor
I will settle the score
A stumble, I fall and I pray

I was astounded when I realised that Mandela's way of 'settling the score' was to forgive the very people who imprisoned him, against the wishes of his own people - those who fondly called him 'Madiba'. How can any person lose 27 years of his life to an injustice and still not be bitter? Most of us cannot forgive a slap. But he chose to rise above it all. He had no time to ponder over almost three decades spent in prison - he had to save his country after all. And not only did he save his country, he led them forward, and then even further forward, out from the darkness that had engulfed it for decades. He had vision, and a big, big heart, and he believed he could achieve anything.

It always seems impossible until it's done  - Nelson Mandela  

He is the reason South Africa are where they are today.

I can only dream of being the man he is, and even if I get halfway there I would have done a bloody good job.

I'll always be in awe...I'll always be Invictus-ed.

5 comments:

  1. have to watch the movie now..!!

    u knw.. the self realization part that you got.. after watching this movie.. about how we crib abt miniscule things.. is the same stuff.. when i saw THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS..!!

    http://oyeitsmalpani.blogspot.com/2009/07/lord-dont-move-that-mountain.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversation Between Mandela (M) & His Advisor (A) after he decides to save the Springboks

    A: Do you want me to inform the VP?

    M: No.

    A: We should at least include
    the Minister of Sport.

    M: No.

    A: I strongly advise against doing this.
    Especially on your own. It gives the impression of autocratic
    leadership. You risk alienating your cabinet
    and your party.

    M:Your advice is duly noted.

    A: Madiba, the people want this.They hate the Springboks. They don't
    want to be represented by a team they cheered against all their lives.

    M: Yes, I know. But in this instance
    the people are wrong. And as their elected leader,
    it is my job to show them that.

    A: You're risking your political capital.
    You're risking your future as our leader.

    M:The day I am afraid to do that is
    the day I am no longer fit to lead.

    A: At least risk it for something
    more important than rugby.

    _________________________
    Do you think we'll ever have such leaders here- Willing to sacrifice expediency for idealism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. & as for your supposed 'insignificance', I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all, we are all victims of circumstance, tempered by our relationships and experiences. You still have a long way to go.

    Odd that such an inspiring film should make you feel so small, just remember:

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah i guess it is odd...but don't get me wrong...I am inspired by the movie to do as much good as i can...and i know there's a long way to go...but somehow the movie just made me feel that way...

    still...as the poem goes...
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul

    so there's always hope........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah... I have to watch the movie now!

    I love the quote at the end - "It always seems impossible until it's done".

    In a few words, the quote represents all that is wrong with the way we go about our lives, and the reason why most of us feel we're underachieving. More talk than action. And when we do have the opportunity to pursue our dreams, the reality of the situation rears it's ugly head, and we feel paralysed to go any further.

    But like you said, there's always hope.

    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete